There are many different ways to add an existing LTI link to your course. This tutorial gives two common methods: Adding a link within a content module, and adding it as a Quicklink.
Before adding links to a course, they should be added to the "Manage External Learning Tool Links" area in your admin tools, as described here: D2L: LTI Global Tool Setup.
Once you have added the link to a course, you can associate it with a gradebook column so that a score appears in the course grade book. (See the instructions further down this page for details.) Make sure to complete this step when adding a link to a test or quiz so that the student's score syncs to the D2L gradebook.
Method 1: Adding a link within a content module
1. In your course content area, create a new module or go into an existing module where you wish to add an LTI link. Then click on "Add Existing Activities" and select "External Learning Tools" from the menu.
2. A list of available External Learning Tool links will appear. Select the item you wish to add to the module from the list.
3. The selected link will be added to the module outline.
4. The content will display on the course page when students click on the link.
Method 2: Adding an LTI link as a Quicklink
1. In any html editor screen (this example case is a description), click on the quick link button (the chain link icon).
2. From the list of link types, select "External Learning Tools."
3. Select the item that you want to add from the list of available External Learning Tool links.
4. The selected link will be added to the content area. You can then add any other text/formatting to the text box that you wish to include. Click "Update" to save the change.
In this example, we have added a quicklink to the course overview area with some text.
Associating an External Learning Tool link with a Grade Item will allow the students' scores on Instruct tests and quizzes to sync to the course gradebook. We recommend this step for the Instruct assessments (tests and quizzes); it is not necessary for ungraded content like tutorials and videos.
To set up a gradebook column for a test or quiz, first find the item in your course content and click on it to view.
Scroll down the page, past the embedded content, and look for the area that says "Assessment" under the "Activity Details" header. Click on "Add a grade item."
Click the + button to create a new Grade Item.
In the Add New Grade Item window that appears, enter a name for the assignment in the "Name" field. This will be the name of the column for the assignment in your course gradebook.
Before leaving this window, remember to scroll down and add a point value for the grade item. When students' scores on the assessment are synced back to D2L, their scores will be scaled according to the maximum points. For example, if a student answers 2 out of 5 quiz questions correctly and the grade item is worth 10 points, their grade in the course gradebook will be 4/10 or 40%. Make sure that the point value is not set to 0.
Once you've finished configuring the grade item, click the "Create" button.
After creating the grade item, make sure to select this item from the drop-down menu so that the content is associated with this grade item. Then, click "Save."
The Instruct quiz is now associated with a gradebook column in your course. When a student takes the quiz, their score will sync to this column.
If you ever need to remove the LTI link from your course, make sure to disassociate the item from the gradebook column before deleting the LTI item itself. To do this, return to the Activity Details > Assessment > Add Grade Item area and select "No Grade" from the list of available grade items.